Friday, August 25, 2006

Pluto's still my friend

So Pluto is no longer a planet. I think about all the kids and adults who were kids who had to do that solar system model. No longer is it accurate? You've got to be kidding?

I had a certain affinity for the planet Pluto. Cold, alone...on the edge of the solar system. God of the Underworld. A certain quiet. He never bothered anybody. Now they say he's a dwarf planet or he's one of Neputune's moons. Pluto was always getting the shaft...even in mythology as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, well. It's like that with all outsiders. Everybody's a critic.

Pluto. I still adore you. No matter what any of those so-called award winning and very well-respected astronomers might say. You are still my favorite. You stay out there...alone with only the black edge of darkness as your friend. I will still think of you when I look up at the heavens. You're still a planet to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your ode to Pluto. Seriously.